Facts about Ronald Reagan | 5 Things You Didn’t Know
July 16, 2018
Reagan: IN HIS WORDS
5 Things You Didn’t Know about Ronald Reagan
As one of the most iconic political leaders of our time, it’s only fitting that Americans of all generations learn all about the life and legacy of Ronald Reagan. History books are brimming with facts about Ronald Reagan—from his policies and positions to his major speeches and milestone achievements. However, with a life as full as the president’s, no book can really do justice to all of the facts about Ronald Reagan.
Even if you feel well-versed on the president’s record, there are doubtlessly some details that may have slipped through the cracks. Here are five facts about Ronald Reagan that may surprise you:
- Ronald Reagan was the oldest American president at the time: He was 69 when he was inaugurated, one year older than William Henry Harrison was when he took office and held the title of oldest president for 140 years. When Donald Trump took the oath in 2017 at age 70, he took over the title.
- His nickname, “Dutch,” was given to him when he was a child: The name stems from a haircut that he got as a youth.
- He was the first divorced candidate to be elected president: Reagan married Jane Wyman in the 1940s before divorcing and later marrying Nancy Davis, with whom he spent the next 50-plus years.
- Ronald Reagan started his career as a sportscaster: He worked covering sports for five years in the Midwest in the 1930s before moving to California and starting his career in Hollywood.
- His memorial site includes a famous quote he delivered the day the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library opened: "I know in my heart that man is good, that what is right will always eventually triumph and that there is purpose and worth to each and every life."
There are many facts about Ronald Reagan and discovering them today can be as interesting as living through his legacy.
Carry on Ronald Reagan's tradition of support for personal freedom and conservative values by signing up for your own Reagan.com email address. Our secure private email service will keep your information and personal communications safe.
Get a Reagan Email Address Today
LEAVE A COMMENTYou must be logged in to post a comment
Ronald Reagan was a life guard